Sunday, November 18, 2012

DIY roll up paintbrush holder

Good morning, internet! Today I want to share a simple project I made to house all my paintbrushes.  It's a roll up holder that you can close up and take anywhere.  Great for the artist on the go!


I originally got the idea from seeing something like this at my local art supply store.  Unfortunately, it didn't look like it would hold up very well.  Plus, it just wasn't very cool looking :).  So, I decided to make my own.  I really just wanted something to house my niji waterbrushes when I take them somewhere.


So to make this, here's what you will need:

To start, measure out on the canvas how big you want your roll to be.  Take into consideration the size of whatever you will put in there.  


Once you cut it out, fold over all the edges twice and sew them.  This puts the raw edges on the inside of the fold for a nice, clean edge.


After that, cut out a piece for the pocket.  Make it a little bigger than you want it to be for seam allowances.


Once again, fold over all the raw edges twice and sew it onto the bottom of the inside.  After you have it sewed on, stitch straight lines through the pocket to make smaller pockets.  Make sure they are big enough to fit what you want to put in the roll.

If you click the picture to zoom you will be able to see the pocket lines better.

Almost there! After this step,  sew on a top flap to keep the brushes from falling out the top.  Remember to make it a little bigger than you want it again.


Now comes the fun part!  I used my fabric medium to paint sketchy blue polka dots on the outside...


... and yellow on the inside!



Last part, I promise!  Now sew a ribbon loop onto one end.  Then roll it up and mark where the loop lands.  Put a button here.


After all this you can throw it in the wash to get off pencil marks.  And you're done! Perfect place for brushes, pencils, crayons, or even makeup brushes!


Pin It

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure exactly why but this blog is loading incredibly slow for me.
    Is anyone else having this issue or is it a issue on my end?
    I'll check back later on and see if the problem still exists.



    Also visit my page

    ReplyDelete