Saturday, November 10, 2012

Chocolate, mint, caramel, buttercream, mmmmm...

The other day, I got myself into a baking mood.
This might have something to do with watching the Pioneer Woman's cooking show.  Too much of that is not healthy for my cholesterol!  This time she was making homemade french fries, and hamburgers, and dessert, and I am drooling on my keyboard... But I digress.  

Anyway, that reminded me of an idea for cupcakes I had.  Chocolate chunk and minty buttercream:P  But in the process of making these delicious pastries, my ever-sweetloving brain decided chocolate, caramel, and buttercream would be a better idea.  So of course, I had to make both!  The hardest part was deciding which was better;)
At this point the sweet, delicious idea struck

One of the best parts of this was little chocolate chunks inside the cupcakes.  When I bit into one, the little pieces melted in my mouth.  Ohhh yeah.  I put the chocolate chips into the batter this time.  I don't know why, but they didn't melt.  Next time around I may put them into the cupcakes right out the oven so they can melt in the middle and make the insides all gooey.  


   For the mint icing I just used mint extract instead of vanilla and tinted it slightly green.  I  used organic mint extract, and the difference is actually really obvious.  Soooo much better!  

   With the caramel I used plain vanilla buttercream and--you guessed it--caramel drizzled on top.  I might change how I did that in the future.  I melted little caramel chips in the microwave, but that didn't work out so well.  It started to harden almost immediately, causing a mad, hand-burning dash to the counter to quickly use the stuff.  I ended up having to pull it into strings like taffy and swirl it onto the icing.  Next time I will probably use Dulce de Leche like I see on Pinterest all the time.


All in all, this ended up awesomely yummy.  I'm glad it did; the mint cupcakes would be great for a Christmas party.

For the mint icing use my buttercream icing recipe and substitute the vanilla extract with mint.

Chocolate Chunk Cupcakes
adapted from MyRecipes
Polka Dot Socks
Makes about 12 cupcakes

1 cup all-purpose flour 
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup and 1 tablespoon white sugar
1/4 cup (half a stick) butter, softened
1/2 cup egg substitute or 2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup 1% low-fat buttermilk (you can make your own)
1 1/4 ounces dark (70 percent cocoa) chocolate, finely chopped or 1/2 cup of chocolate chips
                                                                                                                                                       

Preheat oven to 350°.
 Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in a bowl; stir with a whisk.
Separately beat sugar and butter in a large bowl at medium speed until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla. 
Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to butter and sugar, beginning and ending with flour mixture. 
Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups with liners. Bake at 350° for 18 minutes.  
Cupcakes should spring back when touched lightly in center or wooden pick inserted in center should come out clean. 
Insert chocolate chips into warm cupcakes' centers.
Remove from pan; cool completely on a wire rack.  Frost or sprinkle with powdered sugar when cool.







Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Mmm... Excuse me while I wipe some drool off my keyboard.

    ReplyDelete