Saturday, May 19, 2012

The birthday party that I procrastinated on in posting pictures of

So here's the thing.
I had this birthday party.

Like, almost a month ago.
And I still haven't posted pictures.  I know, terrible!  So, this is me not procrastinating and finally getting my lazy butt up to do what I should have done weeks ago: post pics of my 13th b-day party.   So if you don't like teenagers, you should stop reading.  And if you don't like bunnies, you should also stop reading.  Because seriously, who doesn't like bunnies?  WACKOS, THAT'S WHO.  Anyway, before this post starts to spiral even further off topic, here's the summary of the party!  You know, if you wanna try something like it.

The theme was... *dramatic drumroll*
CAKE DECORATING!
You know, icing, sugar highs, the works!  Which, in hindsight, probably wasn't a good idea with 7 girls all excited and hyped up on sugar but it was still awesomely fun.  If you want to know how we put it together, keep reading! But be warned, it's super pic heavy! :P


The decorations were very simple.  I went with a sort of country chic (gosh I sound like Say Yes to the Dress: Atlanta) theme for the party, and I made most of the decorations myself.  Such as, the triangle bunting (tutorial coming soon).  

We also picked up some fabric from the scrap bin at joanns and used it as tablecloths.


  
I didn't get a closeup of the drink table fabric.  It looks like this

As you can see from the photos,  that was the snack table and the drink table.  I made homemade strawberry lemonade and put lemon slice ice cubes (instructions here) in the drink.  We used grey striped paper straws and mason jars, and I glue sticked each girl's initial onto their jar (two girls had the same initials, so I put their first and last).  We also tied some cute string around each one.  I have to say, they were really cute :)


We also made cake stands from dollar store supplies. Tutorial coming soon!




Now onto the tastiest part: the decorating!  We invited 6 girls. There were two colors of icing (blue and yellow), and two different tips (star and flat).  Each girl got one of each tip and one of each color.  So, we had 3 blues with star tips and 3 blues with flat tips.  Same with the yellows.  That way, they could switch with each other if they wanted another color or tip.  I made buttercream icing and prepared the bags beforehand. 

Everyone learned how to pipe a rose and a ruffle.  We went to town with that technique!  They were doing all sorts of crazy things with the tips they learned :)  We also used wilton sugar pearls as decorations.  
  We all had a lot of fun and all the hard work paid off.  Hope you found inspiration maybe for your own party! This kind of party could be fun for adults too!




 

Stay tuned, later on this week I will feature the awesome invitations!

Pin It

1 comment: